01. How do I apply for the Master of Science Chemistry programme?
Please see the Bewerbungs- und Zulassungverfahren Application section and select the appropriate Abschluss category you hold for directions on how to submit your application. Prerequisites are provided (Voraussetzungen) as well as General Guidelines.

02. What is the minimum grade to be accepted into the program?

There is no definitive answer to this question as the required grade mainly depends on where you come from. You are thus requested to send us your application documents when you have completed your first degree (e.g. Bachelor) program, when you are about to complete it, i.e. when you are a few credits shy of your degree.
Compared to the German rating system (according to which 1.0 is the best and 4.0 is the lowest grade), you should have an average of at least 2.5. All foreign grades will be evaluated according to this system. In order to give you an idea of what your chances are for admission to the program, the following rules of thumb can be applied:

  • in GPA-ratings (maximum grade 4.0, minimum grade to pass 2.0) you need at least an average of 3.0
  • in percentage-ratings (100% maximum, minimum grade to pass 40%), you need at least 70%
  • if your degree includes ratings like “first division”, “first division with distinction” etc., you should have at least earned one of the two best ratings

03. How do I know if my university will be recognized?

There is no definitive answer to this question. Usually, degrees/universities will be recognized if

  • the university from which you earned your degree is one of the top-ranking universities in your country
  • there are both three-year and four-year Bachelor programs offered in your home country, your degree results from a four-year Bachelor program.

04. Do you offer online courses?

05. What is the regular period of study?
The regular period of study is two years (four semesters; three semesters tutorials and practicals and one semester master thesis).

06. Do you have a Visiting Student programme?
There is the Erasmus Student Programme. For further information see the RUB International Portal.

07. Do you offer scholarships for international students?
Unfortunately, no. Students may refer to the DAAD or Financial Issues on the RUBiss page.

08. How can I get in touch with students of the same nationality?
There are regular welcome gatherings and a semester programme for international students organized through RUBiss international students services.

09. Where can I find more answers about coming to RUB?

Many FAQ can be answered for international students by the RUB International Office:

International Degree Seeking Students

for questions like: How can I open up a bank account? What are the estimated costs of living? How can I find suitable accommodation? Once I'm in Bochum, how do I apply for a resident permit? How do I apply with a non-German Bachelors Degree? Can I take language courses?

10. Will I have to pay tuition fees? When can I enrol?
There are no tuition fees. The social contribution (Sozialbeitrag) covers many student services. Please refer to the Sozialbeitrag page for the most accurate information each semester.

This has to be paid during enrollment / (Einschreibung / Immatrikulation) AND re-registration / Rückmeldung before every semester. This is handled by the Registrar's Office at RUB / Studierendenekretariat after the application process is completed. Please refer to the centralized websites linked here for FAQs regarding the payment process and deadlines.

11. How can I get to Bochum university and navigate campus?
Please see the Campus map page.

12. Where can I find out more about the city of Bochum?
Much useful information can be found at www.bochum.de.

13. When do the semesters start, and when do they end?
The full year holds a winter semester (1. October - 31. March) and a summer semester (1. April - 30. September), with the lecture period of 14-15 weeks towards the beginning. At the end of the semesters, examinations are held and a "block-course" period where you can find many short courses scheduled. Please refer to the Registrar's Office for up-to-date timelines and deadlines (Fristen und Vorlesungszeiten): Deadlines.

14. How can I borrow books from the library?
Your student ID card, which you should always carry with you, will be handed out to you upon enrolment. Besides of a few other things like xeroxing, paying for your meals at the canteen, etc., this card will also enable you to borrow books from the University`s main library. In addition, most faculties have their own libraries (some departmental libraries do not lend books, but you can borrow them for xeroxing or read them in the library rooms), for example in Chemistry NC 03.

You can also borrow books from the library of the Fachhochschule Bochum (Bochum University of Applied Sciences) which is located very close to the Ruhr University (take the subway U 35 to "Hustadt" and get out one stop further than Ruhr-Universität).

15. How can I get my email address?
Upon enrolment, you will receive your personal access code with which you can log in to your RUB e-mail account. Please go to www.rub.de in order to log in to your e-mail account.

16. How do I join a sports or social club?
The University offers many free sport courses. The Hochschulsport holds open registration online at the beginning of each semester.

17. Is it possible to take the lecture notes from the internet?
Many professors supply information regarding the lectures on the RUB e-learning system called Moodle. Some lecture notes can be bought directly at the institute. Usually the course instructor will inform you about info material and available literature.

18. May I ask professors or assistants after lectures about some unclear points?
You are invited to ask them about all problems you are facing while you are studying. Since professors are usually very engaged in some projects it would be best to make an appointment with their secretary or try to find the assistants in their office. Attending the Exercises is a great way to keep engaged with the course.

19. How many times per year are examination terms?
There are two examination terms each, for the winter term and the summer term: one within three weeks after the semester, and one within three weeks before the next semester.

Programme study regulations vary. Please note these are FAQs for the * Master of Science Chemistry. For binding information, please refer to your correct programme's Examination Regulations (Prüfungsordnung) in German.

A. How many times can I repeat the same exam? *
There are three attempts to pass. 

B. If my mark obtained in the second attempt at a written exam is worse than the mark achieved in the first attempt, which one is counted? *
The better mark is counted. 

C. If I do not turn up for the exam, is that counted as one attempt or not? *
If you do not turn up for an exam that you have registered for, it is counted as a failed attempt.

D. In case that I have registered for an exam and I then realise that I am not well prepared for it, is it possible to cancel it? *
Yes, it is possible to cancel, but at the latest three days before the exam.